Monday, April 4, 2011

Becoming a Better Musician - Part 2 - Something Familiar

I had a friend growing up who could pick up just about anything and make music with it. A horn, A guitar, a piano, a drum set, it didn't matter, he was a musician and this was just another instrument. I envied his talent. So for the longest time I focused heavily on the guitar and am pretty happy with what I've accomplished, but this did not make me good at those other things. Over time I realized that I wanted more out of being a musician. I went to college and studied music. I was exposed to many different instruments and styles, but never strayed far from my beloved guitar. It is only within the last couple years (now 24 years after starting with the guitar) that I am branching out. I've branched out in 2 ways. One way that feels familiar and one way that is completely foreign. In this post I want to talk about the somewhat familiar way in which I am growing.

Hal Leonard Mandolin MethodFor Christmas, my wife and kids got me a mandolin. Now at first glance, if you are unfamiliar with a mandolin, you would think it is a mini guitar. While there are some similarities in playing mechanics which makes it feel familiar to a guitarist, it is a very different instrument.

First, for someone like myself who has been playing guitar for a long time, the most obvious difference is the size. It takes a lot of extra dexterity to get your fingers in those little frets. But even a guy like me with big hands can do it. This would be true of any new instrument. Getting a grip on mechanics is very important, don't just assume you will know how to play it. Ask people who know, watch YouTube videos, take a couple lessons to get yourself started.

Secondly, the tuning of a mandolin is different from a guitar. Some think of it as an upside down guitar and you merely 'flip the chords over'. While this works to a point. Wrapping your head around an instrument tuned in 5ths rather than (mostly) 4ths is a challenge. It puts your fretboard theory to the test. You need to think about how things are done as a mandolin player, not as a guitarist playing mandolin. So putting my music theory and knowledge to work, I focus on learning why the mandolin works, how chords are built, etc. You  are probably not 11 years old anymore, and don't need to learn by rote. Learn faster by learning smarter.

Third, stylistically, it is a whole new ballgame. I am having to listen to music that I may not have heard before to hear what other do with the instrument. Bluegrass, Celtic and other styles. They may not be your favorite, but hearing new sounds regularly will help your ear and replicating new sounds will help you grow. This broadening of your horizons is what we are after in the first place. Even if you want to use your new instrument in a new and novel way, learning its roots is important too.

Do you play Drums? try a different percussion instrument,  Keyboards? Try the marimba.  A horn? you have a ton of options. Guitar? Try banjo, violin or mandolin. Bass? Try cello or Chapman stick. Find an instrument that feels a little like home, but is at the same time a little bit of an adventure.

Tell me what familiar instrument you have taken up in order to broaden your horions in the comments below.

1 comment:

Joel G Goodman said...

Late to the party, but I'm focusing this summer on two things - 1) getting better at guitar, and 2) learning more about my banjo. Such a cool instrument, played in a sloppy way so often. I want to be good and understand it.